Herbert Smith Freehills are always looking for talented law graduates to join the Alternative Legal Services (ALT) team in Belfast. Legal Analysts are part of our legal team, working closely with highly experienced senior lawyers on the delivery of client work.
You will benefit from exceptional learning and development opportunities working in a team of highly ambitious and collaborative fee-earners. You will gain exposure to a full range of international clients, sectors and industries, and you’ll work with some of the very best legal minds around the world as you partner with our practice teams to deliver cutting-edge ALT services to our clients.
We are seeking to recruit Legal Analysts to work within our Dispute Resolution practice area.
ALT Disputes is experienced in complex large scale document review, sensitive and time critical investigations and regulatory matters, consumer claims management and large scale remediation schemes. Our teams work closely with and provide support to other Herbert Smith Freehills practice groups and we are continually expanding our service offerings. We are experts in complex review elements including legal professional privilege, commercial sensitivity and data protection working across all industry sectors including financial services, energy, retail, TMT and construction.
Legal Analysts work closely with Legal Managers, Senior Solicitors and Solicitors and primary responsibilities will include:
- Conducting work, under the supervision of senior lawyers, on large-scale legal matters.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant areas of law to the Alternative Legal Services practice.
- Ensuring compliance with financial disciplines on matters (e.g. daily time-recording).
- Carry out activities as specified by the project team to ensure the matter and/or project is delivered in an efficient and timely matter.
- Providing general support to the Legal Manager, Senior Solicitors and Solicitors.
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks that may be required of the post-holder. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without materially changing either the character or level of responsibility or grade.
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Law graduate or due to graduate in June/July 2022 (2:1 or above); or a post-graduate qualification in law with a minimum of 3 A levels (ideally B grades and above).
- Ability to review, analyse and organise documentary and factual evidence.
- Excellent attention to detail; aims to get it right first time.
- Aptitude for learning (and becoming proficient in) the use of software and IT applications, and using search terms intelligently to navigate large databases/document management systems.
6 months to a year’s work experience in an office based environment.
Fluency in a second language with an ability to translate legal documents into English. Western European languages an advantage, but other languages (e.g. Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Japanese, Korean or Russian) especially desirable.
At Herbert Smith Freehills you will have the opportunity to receive learning and bespoke training and development to support your future success. We have developed a bespoke development programme for our Legal Analysts, called ‘Accelerate’. The Accelerate programme is designed to enhance your market leading skills with a focus on technical and personal skills development. We support you to learn in different ways, through online programmes, interactive workshops and the opportunity to gain new experiences through our vibrant programme of committee and network activity.
There are several career options available to our Legal Analysts with some following the traditional legal career path and others offering an alternative route to success - this includes and is not limited to, Senior Legal Analyst; Project Co-Ordinator; and eDiscovery Analyst.